By Carlo F. Barenghi
The target of this primer is to hide the fundamental theoretical info, speedy and concisely, in an effort to let senior undergraduate and starting graduate scholars to take on initiatives in topical study components of quantum fluids, for instance, solitons, vortices and collective modes.
The collection of the fabric, either in regards to the content material and point of presentation, attracts at the authors research of the luck of appropriate examine initiatives with novices to the sphere, in addition to of the scholars suggestions from many taught and self-study classes at the topic matter.
Starting with a quick old evaluation, this article covers particle information, weakly interacting condensates and their dynamics and eventually superfluid helium and quantum turbulence.
At the tip of every bankruptcy (apart from the 1st) there'll be a few workouts. exact options might be made to be had to teachers upon request to the authors.
Read Online or Download A Primer on Quantum Fluids PDF
Best hydraulics books
This publication develops the differential geometrical and topological issues of view in hydrodynamics. It discusses interactions of hydrodynamics with a wide selection of mathematical domain names akin to conception of lie teams, differential geometry, topology of knots, magnetic dynamo conception, calculus of diversifications and hamiltonian mechanics.
This entire instruction manual on submarine pipeline structures covers a large spectrum of issues from making plans and location investigations, procurement and layout, to deploy and commissioning. It considers guidance for the alternative of layout parameters, calculation tools and building tactics. it really is in accordance with restrict nation layout with partial safeguard coefficients.
There's a robust desire for innovation and the improvement of doable renewable power assets. fresh technological advances enable ordinary gasoline provides -- formerly believed inaccessible or nonexistent -- to be came across, mined, and processed for either commercial and customer use. The know-how, a arguable procedure that's on the other hand referred to as hydraulic fracturing, fracking, fracing, or hydrofracking, has tremendously elevated common fuel creation within the usa.
This moment version is largely revised all through with elevated dialogue of modeling basics and assurance of advances in version calibration and uncertainty research which are revolutionizing the technology of groundwater modeling. The textual content is meant for undergraduate and graduate point classes in utilized groundwater modeling and as a complete reference for environmental specialists and scientists/engineers in and governmental companies.
- Numerical Simulation in Fluid Dynamics: A Practical Introduction
- Basic Hydraulics
- Fluid Mechanics and the SPH Method: Theory and Applications
- Mathematical Topics in Fluid Mechanics: Volume 2: Compressible Models
- Engineering Mechanics - Dynamics
Additional resources for A Primer on Quantum Fluids
A. Cornell, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 4984 (1996) 11. A. S. Rokhsar, Phys. Rev. A 55, 4346 (1997) 12. F. London, Nature 141, 643 (1938) Chapter 3 Gross-Pitaevskii Model of the Condensate Abstract The Gross-Pitaevskii equation (GPE) is a successful and well-established model for describing an atomic Bose-Einstein condensate. Here we introduce this model, along with its assumptions. Throughout the rest of this chapter we explore its properties and key time-independent solutions. 1 The Gross-Pitaevskii Equation We assume that the gas is at zero temperature, such that the thermal gas and thermallydriven excitations of the condensate are non-existent.
13) The continuity equation expresses conservation of the number of atoms (or, when written in terms of ρ(r, t), conservation of mass). By integrating the equation over a given volume, we see that, if the number of atoms changes in that volume, it is because fluid has moved in or out of it. The second equation is, ∂v = −∇ m ∂t √ 2 1 2 ∇2 n mv + V + gn − √ 2 2m n . 14) √ √ The ∇ 2 n/ n term is termed the quantum pressure term (see below). 15) where P and P are respectively the pressure and the quantum pressure, P= gn 2 , 2 P =− 2 4m n∇ 2 (ln n).
23) V (r) = ωr2 r 2 , 2 where r 2 = x 2 + y 2 + z 2 . The characteristic length scale of this potential is the harmonic oscillator length, /mωr . 24) r = There is no general analytic solution for the ground state (lowest energy) solution of the BEC in a harmonic trap; usually the ground state is found by numerically solving Eq. 9). However, there exist useful analytic results for certain regimes which we describe below. It is useful to work in terms of the interaction parameter,2 N as / r . Below we distinguish the following cases: no interactions, strong repulsive 1) and weak interactions (|N as / r | 1).